Monday, February 13, 2012

Kilimanjaro Project

Hi folks! I'm getting back into the blogging thing in the hopes that it will keep me on track. I had an idea recently, and I'm hoping you'll support me in it.

First, some background.

When I was about 13, I passed 180 pounds. When I was about 15, I passed 190 pounds. I hovered at 195 until I graduated from high school and then I went up to 200 pounds. Then I did the college thing and the teaching thing and I maxed out at 230 pounds last year. I've gotten myself down to 215, but I'm still pretty overweight. I want to get back to 180 pounds: 35 pounds less than what I weigh now. And I want to do it by June. Just so you know, I've tried to get rid of the extra weight many times, but I've only succeeded in getting below 200 once.

Now, my life: I am a music teacher, currently producing a musical for the school. That means that I leave home at 7:00 AM and get back home at about 5:45 PM, with no breaks when I can go for a walk or work out. I am a school board member in the middle of The Budget Season From Hell. (Thank you, Governor Cuomo) I am a volunteer firefighter, and I was recently asked to be an Assistant Scoutmaster. So, I'm busy.

I want to prove that even being very busy, a guy like me can work off his gut through watching what he eats and finding time to exercise. Today I started a new routine that should help me shed some pounds. I am going to post on this blog regularly so that I have someone to be accountable to. That means that I need you to check in regularly and support me by commenting and encouraging. I'm calling this the Kilimanjaro Project. There are many things that I want to do that I can't because of my belly. Rock climbing, ice climbing, running, etc. Carrying an extra 40 pounds makes any task harder. One of my biggest goals is to climb Mount Kilimanjaro. I figure losing 40 pounds is the first step on the way to climbing that mountain.

So check in and keep me honest and let's see what I can do.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck! I came here from your fb profile and I'm backing you. I am in school and the weight has crept up on me, so I will be joining you in your quest. And I hope you do climb Kilimanjaro and post pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your neighbor here at the Beorningstead is also in need of an overhaul. I'll nag you if you nag me. (But I won't climb Kilimanjaro with you, I'll leave that to Old Beorn.)

    I need to lose 20 to be in the green zone on the BMI chart. Technically it is less actual weight than you're trying to shed but it is pretty close percentage wise so it will be just as hard for me - or harder 'cause I'm so elderly. ;)

    ReplyDelete