Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Plan: Part B

So, changing my eating habits is the first part. Now, I suppose I should change what I do. I sat down and thought about how I spend my days. I get up at 6:00, rush around, and leave at 7:00. I get home at 5:30, play with the kids, eat dinner, put the kids to bed, and then sit around because I'm exhausted. I often drift over to the computer and get sucked into websites like failbook.com. (my guilty pleasure)

So, to make changes: I can't eat a healthy breakfast if I don't have time to make it, so I have started getting up at 5:30. It's amazing what a difference that 1/2 hour makes! While my eggs are cooking, I do some situps and pushups. I am ashamed to say that on day one, I squeezed out 2 pushups and collapsed on the floor.
After school, I still come home and follow the same routine until the kids are in bed. Then, instead of sitting around, I go for a two mile walk. In the dark. It's a little creepy. But, what a difference that makes!

I started my new regimen on Monday, and I feel great! I have more energy, I feel lighter, and I'm happier. Is it for real or just a placebo effect? I don't know, but I'm enjoying it.

Oh, and the other change that I made is to start going to bed at 10:00 instead of 10:30. That way I still get a full 7 hours of sleep.

Speaking of which, I thought a lot today about how much money I could make if I got paid for my volunteer activities. I had a board meeting last night that got done at 9:30. I got home at 9:45 and hit the bed at 10:30. At 11:55 my pager went off for a chimney fire. I got back home at 12:45 and then couldn't fall asleep until about 1:30. Then the baby woke up at 3:00. Then I got up at 5:30. And yet, I had energy today, and no headache, which is different for me! So far, so good!

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya buddy. It has taken me almost a month but I've stopped snacking at the office. Being stuck to my desk all day I would graze all day and not really notice....that is until my motorcycle pants didn't fit last week. Somehow my local gravity has increased to show 210 on the scales.

    As you noticed, I too have more energy even with less sleep if I've been active. Now that the weather is nice and the days are longer I plan to be on my bicycle as often as possible after work and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete